A developing situation with Jason

Well, this is painful to watch. Like watching parents fighting but weirder.

3 Likes

It’s an official game, but not the official version of the game it’s replicating / rewriting / inspired from. Whatever is the correct term.

Both of you made it best on app store. The original ideas of Jason and the hard work of your team.

I appreciate being able to play this game on my phone, I had so much fun with my friend and made some interesting memories together. I even got a chance to learn and practice Japanese. Thanks to BOTH of you.

4 Likes

日本語ですみません。

こんにちはChristofferさん

いつもohol-mobile楽しく遊ばせてもらっています。本当にありがとうございます。

私はこのAppが公式だから遊んでいるのではありません。あなたが日本語を対応してくれたからです。

あなたが文化も言語も違う人々の要望を熱心に叶えてくれたからです。

名前に「非公式」とついていたとしても、人々はあなたが成し遂げた仕事を否定しないと私は思います

Jasonさんは原作者として敬意を払われるべきだと思います。彼の望みを叶えてあげてほしいです。

皆が納得のいく結論に到達出来ることを祈っています。

読んでくださりありがとうございました。

7 Likes

Lilly-newさん 勝手ながら英訳させて頂きました。

Translation;
Sorry for in Japanese.

Hi, Christoffer. I enjoy playing ohol-mobile, and appreciate your work. I play the app because you support Japanese, not because it’s official. it means you satisfy the people who differ from you in culture, and language. They may not deny your accomplishments if the name have “unofficial”.

Jason is an honorable man as a original game designer. I want you to meet his terms. I hope that we meet a satisfactory conclusion. Thanks for reading.

5 Likes

ありがとうございます!
誤字の多い文章を翻訳してくださり感謝いたします

I don’t know enough about coding but isn’t what you did effectively translating the game?

I could translate War and Peace into pig Latin. Would that make it my work? Would that make me the author?

@Christoffer make the hard fork. you dont have to be this close to the original. you wont get the label official anyway. so go a different way and leave the path of jason.

1 Like

It’s more like if we made the first movie of War and Peace, and someone then said that since you didn’t write the book, you should call the movie “Unofficial War and Peace”.
Anyone else can make a different movie of War and Peace though and don’t call it unofficial. We would be at disadvantage because people would keep looking for the official version, rather than watch ours. They will suspect there is something bad with ours.

2 Likes

And to continue, the professional film crew who made the movie, would then have either “directed War and Peace” or “directed unofficial War and Peace” on their resume, where you can replace “directed” with “starred in” or “made CGI for” and so on. Which would you rather have on your resume? The computer games industry is a pretty tough one, as I’m sure Jason would agree.

in the book industrie it would be: ohol by jason translated by christoffer :wink:

3 Likes

@Christoffer you have some original content in the game done by you. people love santa and the peace lily concept. please be bold and instead of working on a branch make it a fork.

either you are the product owner or jason. but jason stated he isnt and wont be the product owner. he just wants to be credited as the original author.

4 Likes

I think you developers won’t have to worry. First , the “official game” is on steam and not in mobile apps. Secondly , this game ”mobile version” have gained a good reputation and fans . Thirdly , the mobile version is cheaper than the steam one . Forthly , the “mobile version” is the one pushing into new markets by providing the game in other languages. For the name , what about “1 hour 1 life(based on Jason but not related to him)” , then add reasons in the discription. I agree with the Japanese to like find a way direct mobile complains to you all and not disrupting Jason in internet . I would like to thank Jason for being the creator of the game ,the official one in stream. Hmm… There are many movies that based on books and many of them are not as good as books . I don’t see the reputation of authors ruined because of this .

Thanks for the support, Heidi.

Crediting him I do gladly. Now he wants us to put text across the “movie”, stating “The author did not approve of this movie”. I don’t think people would enjoy it as much then. It’s a pretty horrible idea.

3 Likes

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum!

You have a lot of fans here.

Your work is much appreciated by all of us. As you can see if you re-read my statement, I have included your work as a foundation for ours. I try to be careful with words, as you have mentioned a few times.
Your math is wrong though. It’s not the calendar time that counts, but the man-hours, so we are actually much closer in time spent than a 48:11 relation.

You are amazingly productive, and I can’t imagine how one person can acquire all the skills you have and put into this game. The only area where we have you beat is our software engineering skills.

I hope we can resolve the current situation, so you can go back to doing what you are amazing at, and so we can get going on some of the things which will improve your situation as well as ours. Fights and thirst for revenge doesn’t lead anywhere.

(I have put a question to you in another place, which I hope you will attend to)

5 Likes

I love the original game and I have close to a thousand hours on record. I started a wile back when we still only have berries as food, and our world bioms where only greend lands, sabana and swamps. I started when the game was resently release, and I love its weakly updates, I loved every single minute I had spent on it.

When I fist heard about the development of the mobile vertion, I jumped of excitement. I joined the betta test team without hesitate. I did it because this new proyect was offering something that the original didn’t. It was offering mobility and the opportunity to play anywhere and at any time I wanted to. I mever lost my expectation of this game becoming the original OHOL mobile version. I observed the development of the app closely. I bought two copies of it at launch. I still looking forward for that day that Jason will appreciate your hard work, and junp in with the proyect.
He could recognize it as it is, or he could make new changes. Any way, every single modification that they have done to the game, have been requested by us, the users in the fist place.

The mobile proyect opened a new frontier of the game, and I hope it will continue with it. I dream in that day that the mobile team, and Jason Rohrer work together for a grate and awesome One Hour One Life.

5 Likes

The truth is the truth. The author does not approve because he said that. Making this fact more obvious in no way changes game play itself. The backstory surrounding Ohol is not difficult to understand. It’s important to know because it further describes the tone of the game’s concept and its creator’s ideals. But currently, the burden is on the players to seek this information out for themselves and is causing or could potentially cause confusion. Giving players an opportunity to have a better understanding of how this game came into existence should be done first and foremost, as a top priority. Imo it makes it more interesting, not less desirable.

Knowing that these are Jason’s wishes and seeing your resistance to them is disheartening. If you truly had as much admiration and appreciation for Jason as you claim to have, then you would agree to his requests which are in no way “horrible”. Instead, everyone is here watching a debate over semantics because you’re putting your own interests first. Makes sense to a certain degree but if I’ve learned anything from playing this game it’s that cooperation and doing whatever is necessary to continue is not a choice, it’s a responsibility you have to others. I hope you don’t damage your own reputation by being shortsighted and going against the principles of Jason who everyone here respects and supports. If your resume is more important than the way your audience perceives you, then I guess you don’t understand the real cause or the bigger picture.

6 Likes

Which semantical meaning of “approve” are you thinking of? The author gave his clear permission for us to make this game and to do with it as we wish. That sounds like a blanket approval, doesn’t it? By using the words “Not Approve” Jason is misleading the reader into believing we are doing this against his will, something he completely denies where the reader doesn’t see it. Jason’s using the fact that semantically one interpretation of approve means “decide that it should be done that way”, but with the knowledge that everyone will understand it as “Jason was against this game”.

This is misleading people, pure and simple. Jason is fond of saying that I am good at “massaging” words, i.e. finding ways of saying things so they sound better. He is now attempting to do the opposite, and find the words which sound as bad as possible. But don’t take my word for it. Read his forum too. You will see that there are many who support this understanding.

2 Likes

It is a blanket approval. I totally agree with that and can see your arguement just as clearly. Then why is this an issue at all? If you follow this logic though, then I’m inclined to agree with Heidi. Do what you want. Make it your own. If he’s being bitter and acting vengeful as you are alluding to, then does it not make more sense to cut ties? But you don’t want to do that either… seems to me that you’re then tied to Jason no matter what unless one of you changes your mind.
I get that Jason’s actions and requests are unconventional but that’s the kind of person you chose and continue to choose to do business with. Also, such a person would die for a cause which they believe in so passionately. I don’t see him bending in any way, so I see this as more of a delay of the inevitable.
As for the wording, it doesn’t matter, imo, as I stated before. The truth is the truth, no matter how blunt it may sound. I think this is completely acceptable.

3 Likes

Wouldnt this work?

An Adaptation 
Similar to the original works of Jason Rohrer
                   [Tap for more info]
2 Likes

It clearly states that its an adaptation that would be similar to his work but not endorsed by him.