Building a Railroad

the developer saw a huge problem with mulitple carts on the rail road. the carts would all get stuck on the track, if they get released in opposite direction. thats why there are no simple corner rails, so we dont send carts both directions. and its also why its better to build parallel tracks and circle lines.

maybe there could be a more efficiant way to produce rail kits instead of making blade by blade.

but actually what i see on the images shared of rail road projects, it dosent look like someone is planning a massiv project. so straight lines and regular corners would be actually better at this point, instead of turntables. the players want to sent carts back and forth. in this 2,5 years since the upadte, i didnt saw anybody making parallel tracks and circle lines. it is just too much work, dosent matter how much resources you have.

1 Like

Yeah, I am worried that my two mines will collapse before I finish…and I do need iron for other things! :wink:

2 Likes

not gonna lie, i had about 6 mines and 2 veins collapse to get all the gravel it needed, and the smithing of the blades took ages… i had a lot of help, but it still took ages for such a long track. I love the track though - when you’re at a point where you’ve almost seen and built everything once, it’s nice to have. Also i love that it moves without supervision you know, we hardly have any (visible) processes that take longer than a few seconds once activated, and i think its really fun to see the tracks rolling in when some of my kids are mining, or if i sent them up and don’t have to worry about losing my horse in the desert again.

@Maengish interesting getting some insight from the creator. I mean, carts not going in opposite directions at the same time without crashing is pretty obvious… But i still dont understand why the turntable arrow can’t just have two options, you know? Like this :arrow_up_down:, but down right and right down. Each track element works in two directions, why can’t we have that for corners? Ofc i’m completely aware that we should not expect any more updates, it’s just dreaming. So while i’m at it, how cool would it be to be able to ride the carts? maybe even have a steampower upgrade to make it faster ?? lol. We could have trainstations to visit our friends and not lose horses if the way is too far. :crystal_ball: :magic_wand: :steam_locomotive:

1 Like

Yes, exactly. I just assumed this was true. Oh well. It must be some programming thing, and I understand zero about all that. I would think that allowing the carts to connect to each other like a real train would solve some of those issues (only one object moving, not a bunch of little ones), but who knows.

It sounds like you have a magnificent railroad! Congratulations. :slightly_smiling_face: Mine is not so long, so I will see what I can do.

2 Likes

I’ve updated the guide some more…
anyone know the specifics of turntables?

1 Like

Yep…with my curvy train tracks I have had to make several. Here is what a completed turntable corner looks like:

Note that a cart can ENTER a turntable space from three different directions, but it can only EXIT a turntable going in the fourth direction…the direction the arrow points. So the cart you see in this picture is stuck. It cannot enter the turntable from the north, only from the west (and if I had tracks on the south or east sides, it could enter from those directions, too).

A turntable begins with a plain gravel base (no stakes) and a Big Plate. Yes, you get a Big Plate by heating a steel ingot and then putting it through a Newcomen Hammer five times:

Steele Ingot → Piston Blank → Small Pulley (remember this) → Large Pulley → Steel Plate → Big Plate. The big plate has a hole in the center.

Swipe this onto your gravel road space and it will lay flat.

The next step is to add a spring…the same ones you create for Track Cart kits (hot blade blank into a bowl, cool in water, temper in your oven).

IMG_5449

The last step is to add a Small Pully…see above where you made one on the way to the big plate!

IMG_5450

Once this is placed, you should make sure the arrow is pointing the way you want it to. Put a chisel on the Turntable and hit it with a smithing hammer until it faces the way you want carts to EXIT the space.

IMG_5452

Lastly, add a track kit and you have a finished turntable!

IMG_5440

3 Likes

Ooh yay, it’s perfect! Especially with the images :pray:

1 Like

I finally finished my railway!!! Here are some pics:

2 Likes

More! The pics run from south to north, so basically the reverse of how they show here.

4 Likes

RIP my little home on US1!! Let these photos of my crazy railway serve as a memorial to Moontown!

4 Likes