Invitation to spawn ideas for the YaH sequel game / 次回作へのアイデア交換会にご招待

I will be running a fun project next week, and I hereby invite you to participate with your ideas!

I will put most of my other duties to the side and focus only on inventing content for the next game’s tech tree. I will travel to a cabin in the woods and bring pens and lots of paper and just write down lots of ideas. The cabin has internet though, so I can also be in contact with you guys, and hear your ideas on what items should exist in the world of YaH2 :slight_smile:

Here is the context: The world consists of islands, which are spread out over different climate zones: Tropical, Sub-Tropical, Temperate, and Cold. Within each of these, there are multiple biomes and sub-biomes, that decide what plants and animals can be found there. Living on a cold island will therefore be quite different than living on a tropical one. They won’t have the same resources, so the things you can build there also differ between islands.

In addition to countable items, there will also exist measurable resources, such as water, grain, milk, clay. Unlike in YaH a “Bucket with Milk” is not one object type. It’s a “Bucket” item, in which a certain amount of the resource “Milk” is kept. If you use part of the milk to make porridge, then the rest of the milk is still in the bucket and can be used for something else.

Like in YaH, you create new items by combining other items, and you don’t have an invisible inventory that you gather resources into and make new items from. Your tools and ingredients are either in your hands, on the ground, in containers, or on a work surface (for example a work bench) that you use to organise several ingredients.

So every creation of an item can be described using:

1. a list of ingredients (type and amounts), which will all be consumed by the creation.

2. a list of Tools which can be used for the creation. This is a list of alternatives (for example “Flint Knife”, “Steel Knife”, “Fillet Knife” for cutting something) and the Tool is not consumed by the process. A “Tool” is something you use with your hands, and we also consider your empty hands to be a Tool, so a creation always requires the use of one tool.

3. optionally, a Technology that is required. A Technology is sort of a Tool which you can’t hold in your hands, such as a Fire, a Kiln, a Stove, etc. Like a Tool, a Technology is used, but not consumed by the creation process.

*Note: This is a simplification. The full game will also have skills which can be required (and which you can learn and improve), the tools can have different attributes which make it easier to make high-quality items, doing work will cost Stamina, but less if you use higher tech tools, and so on…

The easiest type of island to survive on, is the type that you have seen in the videos and images we have shared. It is a warm place with savannah and jungle as the main biomes. That is the environment where life first starts in this game, and it’s also the most primitive. The warmth makes clothes optional, and lots of foods can simply be gathered. It is possible to survive without knowing a lot of technology.

The harshest climate is on the cold islands. Here you will die quickly if you don’t have good clothes and shelter, and most food will require hard work to come by. Fishing and hunting will be common tasks and it will be a difficult challenge to build a civilization, because most of your effort will be required to just stay alive.

So my creative task for next week is to come up with good ideas for which plants, animals and resources should occur naturally on islands in different temperature zones, and which items (foods, tools, techs, …) you should be able to create, catch or grow by using the 1,2,3 formula above. I am hereby inviting you YaH fans to participate already in the early stages. During next week, I will sometimes log on and have a live chat in the Discord channel with those who are interested (I will post times a little bit in advance). Hope to see you then!

// Christoffer

Here is a link to our Discord server: https://discord.gg/b9ydhKMa7R
We will use the channel called “the-next-game”

ーーーーー

来週私は楽しいプロジェクトをやろうと考えていて、それについての皆さんのアイデアを募集したいと思います!

私は今あるその他の作業を全て置いておいて、次回作の技術ツリー作成に専念します。森の中の小屋にペンと大量の紙を持ち込んで、たくさんアイデアを書き出すのです。小屋にはインターネットがあるので、皆さんとコンタクトできるし、皆さんの思う次回作に必要なアイテムのアイデアをお聞きすることもできます :slightly_smiling_face:

概要はこのような感じです:ゲームの世界はいくつかの島でできていて、それぞれに違った気候に属しています。熱帯、亜熱帯、温帯、そして冷帯です。それらの中にいくつかのバイオーム、サブバイオームがあり、その場所特有の植物、動物が存在しています。そのため、冷帯の島での生活は熱帯の島のそれとは随分異なることになります。資源も違いますから、建築もそれぞれに異なって来ますね。

容器アイテムに加えて、「測れる資源」としての水、穀物、牛乳や粘土などがあります。どういうことかというと、ゆあほぷの「牛乳入りのバケツ」のように、それを一つのものとしてとらえるのではなく、次は「バケツ」というものの中に、いくらかの「牛乳」という資源が入っているという形になります。ゆあほぷでは「容器に入っているもの」がそれぞれに独立して存在していたので、「ボウル」を「牛乳入りのボウル」に変えて取り出すことを繰り返して、ただの「バケツ」に戻すという作業がありましたが、次回作では、例えばおかゆを作るために牛乳を1.5、小麦を0.5という風に、それぞれの必要量を一度に使ったあと、残量が容器の中に残り、他のもの作りに続けて使えるという形になるのです。

ゆあほぷと同様、新しいアイテムは他のものと組み合わせて作り、アイテム作りに必要な資源は今まで通り、個人的にしか見えない形では所有せず、工具や材料は手で持つ、地面に置く、容器にしまう、もしくは作業台の上に置く、というみんなに見える形で整理することになります。

アイテム作りは以下のように表示されます:

1. 必要材料のリスト(材料のタイプと必要量):一度の作業で全て使い切ります。

2. 必要工具のリスト:こちらは選択肢で(例えば「火打石のナイフ」か「鋼のナイフ」か「フィレナイフ」で何かを切る)、工具は一度の作業では使い切りません。「工具」は手で使うもので、また「手」も一つの工具として捉えますから、全てのアイテム作りに必ず一つは工具が必要になるということですね。

3. オプションとして、必要な技術が発生します。この技術は、手ではつかめないもの、例えば火や窯、暖炉などのこと。工具と同様、作業で使い切るものではありません。

補足:これは簡素化した説明です。実際のゲームでは必要なスキル(学んで改良して行けるもの)もあり、工具は、もっとクオリティの高いアイテム作りを助けたり、作業で費やすスタミナを減りにくくしたりと、色々な意味を持って来ます。

一番過ごしやすい島の気候は、すでに皆さんにシェアしている映像や画像で見られるもので、サバンナとジャングルを主要なバイオームとする暖かい地帯です。そこがこのゲームで一番最初に命がスタートする環境で、また一番原始的でもあります。温暖な気候は衣服を必需品とはせず、食べ物も採取するだけで十分事足りるからです。そんなに技術がなくても生き延びることができます。

一番厳しい環境は冷帯の島です。きちんとしたシェルターや衣服がなければすぐに死んでしまいますし、食べ物も努力しなければ手に入りません。釣りや狩りが主な食料調達法となり、生き延びるだけでも大変なので、文明を進化させるには最も難しい場所になります。

という訳で、来週の私のクリエイティブプロジェクトはつまり、それぞれの島の気候に適して自然発生する植物、動物、そして資源は何なのか、またどのアイテム(食べ物、工具、技術など)が、上記の1、2、3の方式に当てはめて作れるか、また収集、発展させることができるか、を考えることです。そこでこのプロジェクトに、ゆあほぷファンの皆さんを、この早い時期からお誘いしたいと思います。来週のうちに、時々ディスコードにログインして興味のある方とライブチャットをします(少し前に時間をお知らせします)。ぜひご参加ください!

クリストファーより

ディスコードサーバーへのリンクはこちら:https://discord.gg/b9ydhKMa7R
「the-next-game」というチャンネルを使います。自動翻訳コマンドもありますよ!

10 Likes