Re-design of the Curse system

Your new design stinks, to be blunt.

I’m sure I have over a hundred hours of game play. I’ve spent near ten hours playing in the past week. I took a TWO curse hit today for killing a griefer and I’M in freaking donkey town?

If you are going to make it SO easy that cursing becomes a way for people to grief then you need to rethink this system. I spent many hours this past week trying to teach a brand new noob Eve how to Eve. Taught other relatively new players more advanced crafting and taught two how to smith. And I’M in DONKEY TOWN???

You have got to be joking.

If it’s THAT easy then the curse system needs to be countered by/with productive game play. To the point where normal players are earning “reverse” curse points for every curse free hour played. One curse free hour = -1 curse point. As an example: A player with a hundred hours game play who has received 15 total noob curses, curse backs from griefers, etc. During that total of game play would still be -85 curse points.

I’m sure your intent wasn’t to punish normal players but there is absolutely ZERO reason I should find myself in donkey town right now and I’m more than a little ticked off about it.

3 Likes

On one hand, people are shouting for a more powerful cursing system, on the other hand that will make more people serve time in Donkey Town. Sometimes people will judge others incorrectly. Like in other games with voting systems, you don’t get banished because you are guilty, but because several other players vote to kick you out.

The minimum amount of curses needed to be banished to Donkey Town is 4, and only if you get all four within a 2-hour time span. If you get 7 within 24 hours, that’s also triggering a banishment. However, if you have already been banished and come back, only 2 more are needed in the same 24 hours to send you back again. Maybe that’s what happened to you?
There are also (higher) limits for longer time spans.
So what matters is both number and concentration of curses, as well as your own “criminal record”.

We will continue to balance the system according to the wishes of the player community, including yours. “Positive” play time bears thinking about.

If you think that you were banished by a bug (as opposed to the intended design), please report it together with your family tree link (so we can find your player ID) and as much detail as possible.

6 Likes

You know, donkey town sounds more like a sort of independent village, just got griefers and innocents running around lol

3 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by “criminal record”? What’s a criminal record? As I understand it works like this: after a predetermined number of curses, as you explained, the “convicted” goes to donkey town and drops one curse for every hour of play. They continue, even after they get out of donkey town, to drop one curse for every hour of play with it the regular community. Let’s say… Jane Doe Eve gets cursed by three of her kids in one life. She continues to play and lives two more full lives. At the end of those two lives she’s dropped two of the three curses she picked up. Correct? So her “criminal record” would be the remaining curse she hasn’t yet dropped, is that what you mean?

That’s not at all what happened. I received two curses both from the griefer I killed and another person who, for all I know, was in cahoots with the griefer since, when the griefer was discovered that person refused to curse them.

No way did I get seven curses in 24 hours as that was the only cursing I’d experienced in the past week with the exception of being cursed once by a griefer I cursed several days ago.

It’s TOO EASY to use cursing as a method of griefing now, especially with people coordinating on discord. The problem was solved on the PC version with the original curse system. Why is the community here not finding it sufficient as it was? From my experience, they dont properly use it.

Jason was reluctant to introduce the curse system at all since he didn’t want to interfere and solve the community’s problems for them. He reluctantly agreed. Here, people are demanding easier and easier methods which are, quite frankly, ridiculous, and they are STILL complaining. Because they don’t want to kill the griefers themselves? Because their community isn’t engaging in using the cursing system properly and effectively.

If I got sent to freakin donkey town after TWO curses, and who knows, maybe they had their grandkids curse my dead body after I was gone, then for sure griefers are going to use it to their advantage. As they obviously did today. The system wasn’t broken before this last “fix” and now it is. People have mentioned positive points, some called it karma, before in these forums. Donkey town should be reserved for the worst of the worst. Not productive, skilled players who get attacked by griefers with the very thing that is supposed to protect the community FROM them.

3 Likes

It’s ridiculous. I’m just gonna sit back To see how many of the people crying about stronger curses get turfed themselves and then watch as the REAL crying begins. Jason was reluctant to introduce cursing at all. But he did, and the community improved precisely because people used it properly. He THEN lessened the severity AND introduced deductions of curses for non-play time. Why? He felt the drama was lacking.

1 Like

Jason was reluctant because the curse system is a construct that doesn’t exist in real life. His argument for it is that reincarnation of bad guys also doesn’t exist in real life, but it exists in the game, so it needed to be balanced with curses (his meaning, my summary).

I have asked the dev in charge of the system to change the basis from calendar time to play time, so your “positive” play time will be weighed against your curses. The criteria will become something like “many curses per hour played” results in banishment. I think that will be more fair than “many curses per day (or week)”.
What do you think? (and what do the rest of you think?)

4 Likes

IM SOHAPPY

IM BUYING THE ADDITIONAL CONTENT in the next update ;w;)w

It’s enough to keep the term if curse system works right. However, griefers throw off their given curse now. The discussion of the punishment time has no meaning until they do that. I would like you to fix the player ID acquisition system and the curse system to work well.

@YellowTail We are investigating that rumor too. So far, we have not seen any proof that players can reset their curse points, even though some say they can. There was an instance where a player with a black speech bubble managed to get spawned within inhabited area instead of in Donkey Town. That’s an error of the spawn logic in that case - not of the curse system. We may have to rewrite that part of the code to make sure it’s bullet proof (I’m sure everyone who complains about Eve spawn would love to see that happen too :smile:) . Anyway, the work continues…

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely. :confused:

1 Like

All of the chatter on the forum countered Jason’s arguments about IRL to the point where he actually did implement the curse system. In real life we have police and courts and jails to remove criminals from society. In real life those people also get released from prison. Some reformed. Some bent on recidivism.

What differs is the curse system he introduced was the same one we were given on mobile (although you have to type the person’s name to curse them). You’ve redesigned it. Jason has also redesigned it. The difference now is he reduced the penalty system (at one point wondering if the drama was missing :joy:) and you’ve increased it and made it far too easy for normal players to get swept up and away. I just saw an Eve take a noob curse the other day (wondering what that button was for)! Pity on that player should they get a curse back from a griefer or a mistaken curse again!

I believe a fix like you suggest would/should make a huge difference and regular players won’t find themselves banished nor will griefers be able to use the curse system to grief. And, as long as each hour of regular game play continues to remove a curse then I don’t think we will ever see mistaken banishments. Thanks.

Ooh! What about an early warning system? Black text box for someone near the threshold of being sent to donkey town so the community knows when we are birthing griefers? !!!

The current curse system quite literally makes me want to quit the whole game overall. It can be abused so easily.

4 Likes

Did that happen to you, @WumboJumbo? Please share your experience.

This is basically my exact experience @Christoffer.

2 Likes

From what I heard, they rewrite their phone’s IMEI or something like that and reset their curse point. I don’t know how you recognize us and know it’s just a rumor.
Oh… is it serious? A player with black speech said the player had been cursed in the player’s previous life but it’s by mistake and the point is not over the threshold. And we swallowed it… I don’t know what the player do in the life but I don’t feel good.
Problems come after and another. We appreciate you working hard.

荒らしに対しての処罰もいいけど免罪とか濡れ衣もどうにかしてほしい。
呪いは投票式がいいのでは?
それか呪いポイントを減らす機能とかもほしい。

1 Like

観察モードでの呪いと、生まれてすぐから呪う権限があればいいと思います。

1 Like

今ドンキータウンにいます(:anger:^ ω ^)
濡れ衣を着せられた人はドンキータウンから抜け出しやすくなるとかないんですかね…。

1 Like

When I tried to go out from a tutorial room, someone not only came into my room without saying anything but also “it” built an adobe oven base to disrupt my act. Then, I curse “it” but the curse doesn’t seem work. Is it normal work? I hate the disturbing behavior. So, I would like you to let curse work in tutorial or to make tutorial that never get disturbed by anyone.

Can we make it that when you curse someone they can’t be born to you. And if you are an eve anyone cursed by you even in your past lives can’t be born into the bloodline.

2 Likes