Rework of server picking and language matching, plus private servers

The feedback given by the community suggests a couple of pain points:

• Players with certain languages are having trouble finding each other (some current examples are Russian and Portuguese).
  • There are occasional frictions between English speakers and Japanese speakers.
  • Not everyone understands the server naming.
  • The latency number isn’t working as input for server selection for everyone.
  • Not so much a pain point as a feature request: players wish to be able to organize private games with friends or fans.

We are considering a major make-over to deal with these problems. This is our current thinking:

1. Add more automated intelligence
    Instead of having people pick a server in a list, the “Get Born” button will directly put you on a server selected through automation. We would build logic that holds information of how many players with each language are present on each server, then we would use both your language setting and your approximate geo location to determine which server to put you on, where your latency will be low enough and there are people with the same language playing.

2. Reduce (unnecessary?) choice
    The lack of a server list means that players have less choice. This is double edged of course.

• Players who know exactly how things work might loose choices that they would like to have.
  • Players who don’t understand exactly how things work would not risk making the wrong choices.
  • Players would be denied choices which put them on “the wrong” servers. For example: English speakers would be concentrated on servers in America and Europe, while speakers of Asian languages would be concentrated on servers located in Asia (unless their geo location is on a different continent).
  1. Add choices for hosting and playing on private servers
    Since standard play would be optimized to spawn you with as many people as possible who share your language, the option to pick a low-population server to increase chances of playing with real-life friends would disappear. We have seen in the latest couple of events (Family & Friends) that this is something players would like to do, at least on occasion. We also saw frustration that “the wrong” people got mixed up in the same families.
    By adding private servers that allow play by invitation only, we would give this possibility. It would be in the hands of the server hosts to decide whom to invite to play.
    Building and maintaining this option will cost us a fair chunk of resources, so this feature would have to be a paid service. That is the only way we could make it scale to thousands of users and hundreds or even thousands of private games.

To summarize: The standard (public) game would change according to 1&2. There would be a paid service to access 3.

We welcome your feedback and a discussion on these potential changes. What do you think?

5 Likes

サーバー選択と言語マッチングの再設定、プライベートサーバーについて

このコミュニティからのフィードバックにて、いくつかの厳しい点をご指摘いただいています:

・特定の言語を選択したプレイヤー同士が集まりにくい(現時点では特にロシア語とポルトガル語)。

・英語話者と日本語話者の間で時折摩擦が生じている。

・全ての人がサーバーの名称を理解している訳ではない。

・ラテンシーナンバー(遅れ)が必ずしもサーバーを選ぶ際の基準となっていない。

・他のご指摘ほど深刻ではない機能のリクエスト:友達やファンと一緒に遊べるプライベートゲーム作成の希望

我々は以上の点に対処するための大きな改変を考えています。以下が現在の構想です:

1)更なるオート知能の追加

自身でリストからサーバーを選ぶ代わりに、「生まれる」ボタンが自動操作でプレイヤーをダイレクトにサーバーに割り振るもの。それぞれのサーバーにどの言語の話者がどれくらいいるかの情報を集めるロジックを作成し、プレイヤーの言語設定と大体の位置情報から、十分に低いラテンシー(遅れ)と同じ言語話者のいるどのサーバーに割り振るかを決定します。

2)(必要のない?)選択の削減

サーバーリストの欠如はプレイヤーの選択の範囲を狭めます。これはもちろん良し悪しですが。

・機能を理解しているプレイヤーにとっては可能な選択を失うことになります。

・機能を理解していないプレイヤーは、間違った選択をするリスクを回避することができます。

・プレイヤーは「間違った」サーバーを選ぶことを拒否されます。例えば:英語話者はアメリカとヨーロッパのサーバーに収容され、アジア圏の言語話者はアジア圏のサーバーに収容されることになります(位置情報が別の大陸になっている場合を除く)。

3)プライベートサーバーの登録とプレイの選択追加

通常のプレイが同じ言語を話す人々とできるだけ同じ場所に生まれるよう最適化されているため、過疎化したサーバーを選ぶことで実際の友達とゲームをする機会を不可能にしています。ここ最近のイベント(家族や友達と)の状況から、このスタイルが、少なくとも時折は、プレイヤーの望むものであると見られました。また「間違った」人々が同じ家族に集まることのフラストレーションも感じられました。

招待制のみのプライベートサーバーを追加することで、この要望を叶えられると考えます。サーバーの登録者に誰を招待し一緒に遊ぶかが委ねられます。

このオプションの設立とメンテナンスにはそれなりのコストがかかるため、こちらは有料サービスとなるでしょう。数千のユーザーと数百か数千になり得るプライベートゲームを成り立たせるにはこの方法しかありません。

まとめ:通常(公式)ゲームは1)と2)の理由から改変します。3)のために有料のプライベートサービスを開設します。

皆さんのフィードバックや改変見込みの点についてのディスカッションを募集します。皆さんはどう思われますか?

2 Likes

はじめまして。いつも楽しくプレイさせていただいております。

今回の議題ですが、私はサーバー選択は現状のままにしてほしいと考えております。理由としては下記になります。
・以前イヴで60歳まで生きた思い入れのある村がある。
・たまに異言語プレーヤーと交流するのも一つの楽しみになっている。異言語プレーヤー同士の対立が悪目立ちしていますが、心温まる交流も数多く存在します。これもオンラインゲームの一つの醍醐味ではないでしょうか。
・友人であったりゲーム内で会う約束をしている訳ではないが、同じサーバーを使用していて時折マッチングするユーザーがいる。彼らに会うのが楽しみである。
・ロシア語やポルトガル語などマイナーな言語ユーザーのみ、自動でマッチングできるようにしてほしい。

また、今回の議題から少し論点がずれますが、「言語」ではなく、「初心者」のサーバー選択を改善してほしいです。
(例えば今まで生まれた回数が10回以下のユーザーはビギナーサーバー以外選択できないようにするとか)

プライベートサーバーに関しては大賛成です。心待ちにしております。

4 Likes

I remind you, I wanna play with friends without weekend events.
Maybe TWINS mode can make this.

But if no TWINS mode, I have to choose minor language and born in some far server where are not many people.
And wish, born to eve and friend will be my child.
(And make village with no more children, …Uh it’s fruitless.)

Really, I need some another new function for play with my friends in bustling village.(Like TWINS)

BTW, I think auto server selection is good solution for minor language players, but maybe many japanese players want to select server.
So I agree 1, but not 2.

And 3 is very good.
(I preparing build private server so I wish using my server for my friends, off course with purchase to you)

1 Like

・質問
イベントを選択するときどうすることになりますか?
ビギナーサーバーを選択するときどうすることになりますか?
プライベートサーバーの中で私達は世代を続けることはできますか? 私達は文明を高度に発展させることができますか?
料金について、構想はありますか?

・懸念
私は普段japan5サーバーで遊んでいます。理由はjapan1サーバーに初心者が多いからです。初心者が少ないサーバーを選べなくなるのは、私にとって不利益です。

私は能力の近いプレイヤー同士をマッチングさせることを提案します。プレイ時間が近い人々や、同じ程度に高度なクラフトをしている人々が家族になるなら、多くの問題が解決します。解決される問題というのは、アカウントを作り直したTrollが村に戻ってくることや、上級者が初心者に悪口を言うことなどです。検討お願いします。

google translate

· question
What should I do when selecting an event?
What should I do when selecting a beginner server?
Can we continue generations in a private server? Can we develop civilization highly?
Are there any ideas about the price?

· concerns
I am usually playing on japan 5 server. The reason is that japan 1 server has many beginners. It is disadvantageous for me that I can not choose a server with few beginners.

I propose matching players with close ability. Many problems will be solved if people close to playing time or people who are doing craft with the same degree of advanced craft become families. The problem to be solved is that Troll who rebuilt the account returns to the village and experts speak ill of beginners. Please consider.

2 Likes

[in English]
I think 1&2 are good. I suppose in this case you are adding "beginner (slower hunger and no killing)" setting for players to select?

No. 3 also sounds nice, but I doubt if there’s enough players who want to play with their real-life friends in “private” pay servers.

Below are some functions I and my friends are willing to pay for (though we do not know they are technically possible):

• An option to play with real-life friends on public/normal servers (like "group code" in Pokémon GO raid battles).

• An option to select or increase a chance to be born into a certain kind of village (an Eve family [Eve or her children], underdeveloped village, a large town, etc.)

[in Japanese]
1と2は良いと思います。これはbeginner(空腹遅め・殺人なし)のオプションも追加されるということですよね?

3も良いとは思うのですが、プライベートの有料サーバーで友達と遊びたいという人がプレイが成立するほどの人数いるかが微妙だと思います。

なお、以下のような機能があれば私自身や友人は喜んで課金するつもりです。

・普通の公開サーバーで友達と一緒に遊ぶオプション(他ゲームの例になりますがポケモンGOレイドバトルの「グループコード」のようなもの)

・生まれる村の発展具合(イブ・イブ子、発展途上の村、発展した村など)を選択できる(100%でなくてもいくらか可能性があがるような)オプション

2 Likes

I do like the auto selection idea. I think it would be a good idea to add “get born” and “get born-beginner”

The private server thing is fantastic. I think it should be marketed as a “land purchase”. I’m not sure how inviting ppl would work though. Would we get IDs?

I understand why someone would want to server jump but honestly it’s not needed. If you’re sent to the server based on geolocation then you’ll usually get sent to the same server most times. Making it more of a team effort to build the server, we’ve experienced this on US2 with the regulars. I’ve played other mmo’s, and the ones with single server selection weren’t any less fun then those with multiple, imo.

3 Likes

I worried about cursed system.
Now, cursed point doesn’t shared for servers yet.
After changes of auto-selecting server, cursed point will be shared?

And, how do you think about cursed system, guys.

2 Likes

海外旅行中の日本語話者がゲームにアクセスした場合、システムはどのように振る舞いますか?

If Japanese speakers traveling overseas access the game, how will your system behave?

1 Like

日本語で失礼いたします。

・英語話者と日本語話者の間で時折摩擦が生じている。

イベント時に英語話者と日本語話者の間で摩擦が生じているのは事実です。なのでイベント時はサーバーを言語で分けてほしい(プレイヤーの間違った選択を回避してほしい)です。

しかし私は通常プレイ時には自分の意思でサーバーを選択をしたいです。なぜなら、通常プレイでは自動でサーバーを振り分けられることのメリットが分からないからです。

自動でサーバーを振り分けられることには、システムを理解しているプレイヤーにはどんなメリットがあるのでしょうか?

私たちが荒らしを呪う権利はシステム変更でどう変わるのですか?

もしも荒らしがサーバー移動やアプリの更新をしても受けた呪いをリセットできなくなるのであれば、システムの変更を支持したいです。
さらに言えば、荒らしが5回呪われたら接続切断が起き、荒らしがその家系から強制退場させられ、受けた呪いが合計で10回溜まればその場で接続切断し、次回のゲームスタートでドンキータウンに生まれペナルティを消化するまでは、善良なプレイヤーからは隔離されてほしいです。
システム変更によりそれが可能であるならば、私は賛成です。

しかし呪いシステムの改善や荒らしの隔離に何の効果もないのであれば、システム変更には反対します。

2 Likes

Answers to a bunch of questions:

Events would be a separate choice from the simple “Get Born”.

Two possible methods, we haven’t decided which to use: 1. Separate choice in “Get Born”; 2. We keep track of people’s play time and use this info to spawn you as beginner if you have played less than (for example) 10 hours.

One thing to be aware of is that features like these would change the game not only for the players who use them, but also for the players who don’t. We intend to keep the normal game mode as close to the regular PC game mode as possible, so features like the ones you describe could be possible in events, modified game modes or on private servers. Not in the normal game mode though.

Invitation would be similar to how the “Families & Friends Event” handled it. A player who is hosting a server would receive a special url from us. Invitation happens by sharing that link with others.

Yes, the curse points would need to be maintained globally, not per server as it is today.

The most important thing is to keep latency below an acceptable level, so my thinking is that a player like that would be placed on a server close to the country they are visiting (or living in permanently).

2 Likes

thank you for your answer!

2. We keep track of people’s play time and use this info to spawn you as beginner if you have played less than (for example) 10 hours.

I like this method!

3 Likes

This is not My opinion, but non-forum-registered player said in twitter.

You had no-kill server before, many players loved that.
They hate killing, so now they use beginner server.
You know, beginner server is not for only beginner.

They want have “Separate choice in Get Born”.

3 Likes

>Two possible methods, we haven’t decided which to use: 1. Separate choice in “Get Born”; 2. We keep track of people’s play time and use this info to spawn you as beginner if you have played less than (for example) 10 hours.
2がとても良い考えと思います
・google translate
I think 2 is a very good idea
>3.Add choices for hosting and playing on private servers
販売形態にもよりますが新しい難しい問題です、コストがかかるのならば今のプレイヤーはどれだけその機能を欲しているかが焦点となります。
販売形態は1日チケット?1か月?それとも1年?永遠?ですか?
また、"今週末は家族や友達と一緒にイベントを"と同じ形態のサーバーならば以下の点を改良してほしいと思います
・一族が全滅したときに生まれる場所を固定、もしくは生きていた拠点にしてほしい
彼らは友達と継続的に遊ぶ、もしくは建築をしたいと考えます
・google translate
Depending on the form of sale, it is a new difficult problem, if it costs, the current player will focus on how much you want that function.
Is the sales form a one-day ticket? 1 month? Or one year? Forever?
In addition, if you have a server of the same form as “Events with family and friends this weekend” I would like you to improve the following points
· I want you to fix the place to be born when the clan is destroyed, or make it a living base
They think that they want to continue to play or build with friends

>2.Reduce (unnecessary?) choice
この機能が追加されるならば呪い機能をしっかり働かせるようにお願いします。
現状には抜け道がある(と聞いている https://forum.onehouronelife.app/t/topic/2285/6 )、初心者サーバーでは呪っても殺せないなどしっかり働いていない部分があります。
また日本人の中ではPKを嫌っている人がたくさんいるので通常サーバー、ノーキルサーバー、プレイ時間によるビギナーサーバー、があるとよいです
・google translate
If this function is added, please ask the curse function to work firmly.
There is a part that does not work firmly, such as not being able to be killed even if cursed in the beginner server (I heard that there is a loophole in the present situation. https://forum.onehouronelife.app/t/topic/2285/6
Also, since there are many people who dislikes PK among Japanese, it is normal that there is a server, nokill server, beginner server by play time

>1.Add more automated intelligence
2.Reduce (unnecessary?) choiceがうまく調整出来たとき、いいアイディアだと思います
・google translate
2. I think that it is a good idea when Reduce (unnecessary?) Choice can be adjusted well

I agree with 3.I am eager for 3.

What I want for 3 is as follows.

1.Be able to continue playing alone.

2.Be able to invite friends.

I hope to have a wonderful game.

3 Likes

Thank you for the answers!

Can you combine both methods and implement them together, allowing all the experienced players to have multiple choices in “Get Born” while limiting the under-experienced players’ option? If not, I think the former method is better because it will be too hard for newbies to learn the basics of village lives only by themselves.

2 Likes

@Pomme I agree. It’s nice to be able to go to less experienced camps and help teach players. I do that now and then.

1 Like

I am personally really excited about option 3. I have been requesting this feature since the beginning and have no problem paying for it. If you are planning to use a cloud service for this feature it would be wonderful. Those who are worried about it being a paid service should consider the following. A physical server costs money to operate.

I have a question though, would the server owner be able to modify the server settings, specifically a set spawn point.

1 Like

I don’t think that is good idea;

This idea leads beginner server be for beginners then how can the beginners learn to play? They need trainers and some people want to play with them. You know this is not for a language trouble.

1 Like

プライベートサーバーについてですが、前回のイベントで非常に楽しく遊べたのでそれ自体には賛成です。しかし、長期的な利用にしてしまうとゲームバランスが崩れてしまわないかが心配です。そこで一つの案ですが、プライベートサーバーの期間を数日間にして、そこに入れる人数によって利用料を設定するのはどうでしょうか?これによって、フレンドと1日だけ一緒に遊びたい時、単発的なファンイベントやクラフト練習として利用することができるので、月額で決めるより利用日当たりの単価が高くても利用者が増えやすく、利用できない日を設定してサーバーメンテナンスも行いやすくなるのではと考えます。