Rebirth, Rekindling, and the Importance of Helping Others / 転生、復興と助け合いの大切さ

Today I want to share my thoughts on how we could change the birth and respawning mechanisms and add a measurement (a point system, if you will) of a player’s helpfulness towards others. The goals I have with this are:

• Remove the reason for people to do suicide marathons
  • Reduce the power that griefers can have over you
  • Reduce the risk to your town/family with keeping unknown babies (griefers again)
  • Give you opportunity to come back to your favorite families/towns
  • Make it possible to revive families/towns which have died out
  • Give you a sense of accomplishment when you do things that benefit your descendants. More helpful players will achieve a higher score.

This design is a work in progress, and your feedback is welcome. Let’s begin…

Scoring

• For every child in your family that you help raise to adult age, you will be awarded points, lets call them FPs (Family Points) for now. You do not have to be a mother to get FPs.
  • If you spawn as an Eve and create a new family, you will be awarded FPs for each new generation where a child is born and grows to be an adult, until the family dies out the first time.
  • FPs are used when you choose Rebirth or Rekindle (see below), but we will also keep a permanent score which doesn’t get reduced when you use your FPs.

Rebirth
If you wish to be reborn in a family that you have previously lived in, you can do so by using your FPs, provided that:

• There is a fertile woman alive in the family.
  • You have not been banished by the family members.
  • The family has actively chosen that they would like you to come back to them. This is done by burying a dead family member in a proper grave. If someone is a griefer or unpleasant to play with, don’t bury that person and then they will not come back to the same family again.

Doing a suicide marathon will never get you reborn in the same family. Having descendants who wish you to come back to them is the new way.
UI-wise, you use a button in your family tree to get reborn.

Rekindling a Family (Respawning)
The old condition for Eve respawn (live to 60 as Eve and max 3 fertile women on server) is removed. Griefers can no longer destroy your ability to respawn by killing you. In fact we will not call this action Respawning, but “Rekindling”.
You will be able to Rekindle a family if:

• The family has died out or if it has no fertile women or girl children left.
  • You have not been banished by the family members.
  • You were buried by the family or you were one of the last family members to die (when there were no-one left to bury you).

Rekindling means that you appear as a young fertile woman in the family and your place in the family tree will be the next row after the last living generation before you.You are not seen as an Eve when you do this. You will get the same family name again, but get to pick your own given name.
UI-wise, you use a button in your family tree to Rekindle a family.

Rekindling will use up more FPs than rebirth, so it’s always better for a family to stay alive, than to die out and then get rekindled. On low population servers, Rekindling may be the only way to keep a family going for more than 24 hours. We will make the FP cost of Rekindling small families lower than for large ones, so small families also will have opportunity to reach high in the tech tree and build nice cities.

Starting a life in a new family
When you don’t wish to be reborn in or rekindle one of your previous families, you use the normal play button. This will put you in a family you have not been born in before.
One idea I have here, to avoid baby suicides, is to show you an observer mode of the proposed mother for 10 seconds and let you choose to get born or to skip to the next available mother. So as a mother, you know that your child wants to have you as mother. If you skip through all available mothers, you will become an Eve.
Alternatively, we could have a cool-down timer for getting born, so you can’t do it more than once per 90 seconds or so. This would also discourage suicide marathons I think.

Supporting Features
There would be some difficulties for players if we just implemented this design and left everything else the same. For example: since a player has to be buried to be eligible for rebirth, there would have to be a sure way for family members to find the remains of someone who died in the wilderness (for example a special compass that shows you the way). We would add such means too.

Japanese version: 転生、復興と助け合いの大切さ

16 Likes

Hmmm, i rather like the old way but this is posible to. Keeping away griefers take long because you need to bury anyone good, and the most players are, so you will have to bury everyone. That’s a lot of iron and even more space. And if your kid is a griefer, and griefed everything, and then not bury him if he’s dead, the town is still destroyed.

Is there no reduction in FP due to child suicide and child abandonment?
If you do not need to be a mother, what do you think about such a gender reset marathon that you want to be born in a man?
Which tomb does the proper tomb indicate? Do you need a flat stone? If I get a flat stone, will the tomb person not be able to regenerate?
When the basic family can only be born once, the population shortage is anxious.
I am also worried about mass production of Eve.
The tomb in the beginning seems difficult.
I am worried about the vandalism that makes a lot of tombs.
What I think most dangerous is the destruction of the family by the group’s vandalism.

I think it is very good to be able to observe the mother.
It is also interesting to give the top ranks of FP ranking.
What about servers that can only be used by people with high FP rankings in the future (put in using points) etc?
I will be quite cautious of tombs other than Eve.
Overall, I agree.

1 Like

Wow, I think you put a lot of thought into this and I honestly like your idea and feel more excited about the game with that in mind. It would solve a lot of the critical problems that I believe discourages people to keep playing such as suicide babies, unable to continue town, short lineage, lack of town growth/tech tree etc. it also encourage players to play with others with less fear which is the thing that makes this game fun

I think if you choose to return to the same family and is starved before the age of 4, when choosing to be reborn to it the next attempt shouldn’t cost any FP and hopefully there is a next attempt because odds are you won’t be buried when dying as a baby.

1 Like

Oh this reminds me of the fitness score of OHOL. But the difference is: the prize of high score is to be born to the last town we visited. I like it.

The only problem of this new rekindling is to get players who never visit the forum to understand the new system. Because they could burry a griever ignorantly. Probably, the solution is we could tell them in the chronicle now about the new system before the update is finally released. What do you think?

1 Like

Instead of burry them, how about to make ceremonial to honor the body. Like cremated or put it on a temple (where the bone will change colors).

4 Likes

sounds interesting, thanks for the new concept! i think it will cost a lot of iron & flat rocks and maybe it will put a lot of pressure on an new eve to get to iron age. can there be an other way to burry skeletons without a shovel?

1 Like

lol “The family has actively chosen that they would like you to come back to them” ?????lol I can see my future.

Sorry, but I am really disappointed with this game. I am already applying for a refund. The money for the three-month private service is my last love for you lol.

hope all of you will never meet any annoying children lol

1 Like

That sounds interesting.

Home in the old system accompanied me for three months. It took me a lot of effort to decorate my home for hours a day. You can easily modify the mechanism to meet the needs of most people, and we love the game veteran players can be easily abandoned?right?

I still like the old way better cause it gives other people the power to control whether you get to respawn again. Now griefers don’t have to murder you to ruin your fun but just banish you.

I can understand the existence of the child-rearing mechanism, but do you want me to make a painstaking effort to build a home for people who have nothing to do with me, or even a vote of banish to let me never see my home again, so that the mechanism is different from being a griefier? I can’t know the fate of my family in the future. I may even lose my loved one forever and my long-lived home. Sorry, I can’t accept it.

Dead babies can banish other family member,I think there are some irrational.Can children over the age of three be considered family members?Only family members can be banish.

To keep mystery, can you give me a “random” button when i birthing?:joy:

But dead babies can banish their moms. However, if this banishment mechanism is removed, griefers will take advantage of that in low population server cause there is no way to stop them. All systems are flawed and people would always abuse the power given to them.

@WRY.A I get the feeling you may have misunderstood what I mean with “Banished”. That a single player puts a Banish Point (BP) on me doesn’t mean that I become Banished. Three people have to do it to me in one single life as a minimum. More if it’s spread out over several lives.

A single griefer has no chance of Banishing another player, but several “good” players have every chance to Banish the single griefer.

You can read more details on the system here: https://forum.onehouronelife.app/t/how-banishment-and-banish-points-work/3794

Hope this helps?

3 Likes

He assumes that there are not enough family member to stop the griefer.According to my idea, if you are not raised, you cannot banish him.:thinking:

On Chinese servers, there are many children who are got into big home. Mothers are reluctant to accept unknown people, and they tend to raise only their friends. Thus causing the child to viciously use the heavenly eye to banish, and the mother to banish the child’s body. In a vicious circle, many innocent Eve lose their home and enter donkey town for a long time.:pensive:

I’ve heard of people intentionally banish eves through observation mode or banish each other over trivial conflicts. You never know what people are thinking. I keep a friends server to show support of the game but I usually play on eu2 where I know most of the developed towns and their owners. I do play with other but only people of my choice. We’ve all put a lot of effort in our town and It only takes one griefers (or a careless player idk) to ruin everything. My friend Amber quit playing after someone broke into her T-square. She said it’s a cruel game. Charlotte didn’t wanna go back to her town after it’s being griefed. It took forever to plant back all the trees and keeps animals again. Why can’t the respawn system stay the same? There are servers like us beginners for people to have families and play with random player, and servers like eu2 to build our own town. People can start a family in eu2 if they want but I don’t see that happening often. If the respawn system is changed, I feel like I’ve wasted all the time working on my place. Other players are not invested like I am and I’m sure some random kids will ruin it. Even if I get lucky and that doesn’t happen you are asking me to take the chance. You should see how nice my town looks now.

2 Likes

how many family points for something like this? there were too many bears on europe-2! =S